Tuesday, February 4, 2014

How Well Do You Know Him

There are few husbands who claim to know everything there is to know about their wives--I'm not one of them!!!  Although I don't know my wife as much as I should after 25 years, I  often pride myself on being a pretty good husband to her.  I pride myself on meeting her needs and carrying out the responsibilities that she expects of me.  I have quickly learned what stores to shop at and what restaurants can say "I'm sorry" best.   However, if you were to ask my wife what pleases her most I believe that she would say that she would love for me to slow down, just spend time with her, and to listen to her--no need to comment, just listen.  She would welcome me to know her concerns,  desires, priorities, and life's passions.  She would invite me to enjoy more time with her, share what is on my mind,  and to be more expressive in my emotions to her.  Sitting and enjoying each others company would speak volumes of love to her.

As I was reading today in Jeremiah 9:23-24, I was reminded that God wants us to make "getting to know Him" our life's goal.  It is obvious to me that the better I get to know Him the better I can please Him.  Knowing God is the most meaningful pursuit in life.  Jeremiah expresses the importance of this better than anyone I've seen when he says, "Thus says the Lord, 'Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast of this that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth.  For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.'"

My personal boasting can come across so subtly when I make use of big, theological words that attempt to make me look smart. It happens when I practice name--dropping.  It comes across when I speak about my service for Him and things I've been able to accomplish.  In essence God is saying, "If you are going to lift yourself up in front of others, do it about knowing Me; if you can't talk about that, then you don't have much to brag about anyhow."  Knowing God is more than just a religious experience.  It is learning of His greatness by spending time with Him.  It is a matter of sharing that greatness with others that they would be drawn to Him (not us) and want to follow Him.  The apostle John said it well, "He must become greater; I must become less" (Jn. 3:30).

Prayer:  Dear Lord, I have a great deal to learn and a long way to go in understanding your desires!  Please be patient with me and grant me a spirit of wisdom to know YOU more!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment