Over the years, working with the youth at the church I would always try to tell a young person how much it meant to me that they would tell me thank you. In essence I was thanking them for thanking me. Sounds goofy I know but I believe it is that important as it honors others. When we would have a youth event at someone's house I would always tell the kids to make sure they said thank you to our host three times--my thinking was they might say it at least once. We were always welcomed back and it helped that we really cleaned up after ourselves.
God esteems a thankful heart and desires that we express gratitude towards others (Ephesians 4); however, consider how much HE wants to be thanked in the following verses.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:18 "Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."
- Ephesians 5:20 "Giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ"
- Psalm 136:26 "Give thanks to the God of heaven, for his steadfast love endures forever."
- Psalm 106:1-2 "Praise the Lord! Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever! Who can utter the mighty deeds of the Lord, or declare all his praise?"
- Psalm 100:4 "Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name!"
- Psalm 136:1 "Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good. His love endures forever."
This Thanksgiving, may I challenge you in two ways:
- Share around the table how you are thankful for one another.
- Spend time this week just thanking God for being your God.