Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The Power of a Thank You

Probably one of the best things my parents instilled in me was to have a thankful heart for anything that someone did for me or gave me.  I was encouraged to always say "thank you" for the smallest of things and if I wasn't sure if I said it then I should say it again to be safe.  Please know that I'm not saying I'm the best at being thankful but I always strive to let people know how much their kindness means to me.   Every time someone gives me the smallest gift I try to make a note on my list as a reminder to send them a thank you.  In fact, I carry thank you cards in my backpack so if I have a few moments somewhere I can send one off.

Over the years, working with the youth at the church I would always try to tell a young person how much it meant to me that they would tell me thank you.  In essence I was thanking them for thanking me.  Sounds goofy I know but I believe it is that important as it honors others.  When we would have a youth event at someone's house I would always tell the kids to make sure they said thank you to our host three times--my thinking was they might say it at least once.  We were always welcomed back and it helped that we really cleaned up after ourselves.

God esteems a thankful heart and desires that we express gratitude towards others (Ephesians 4); however, consider how much HE wants to be thanked in the following verses. 
  • 1 Thessalonians 5:18 "Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."
  • Ephesians 5:20 "Giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ"
  • Psalm 136:26 "Give thanks to the God of heaven, for his steadfast love endures forever."
  • Psalm 106:1-2 "Praise the Lord! Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever! Who can utter the mighty deeds of the Lord, or declare all his praise?"
  • Psalm 100:4 "Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name!"
  • Psalm 136:1 "Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good. His love endures forever."
This Thanksgiving, may I challenge you in two ways:
      1. Share around the table how you are thankful for one another.
      2. Spend time this week just thanking God for being your God.
A thankful heart is spiritually healthy!  It pleases the heart of God and encourages the hearts of one another.  With so much bitterness and negativity around you, don't underestimate the Power of a Thank You.  Thank you for taking the time to read this blog today ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment