Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Beauty of God's Forgiveness


My family and I are enjoying some beautiful scenery in Vail, Colorado.  As Adina enjoys the warmth of the fireplace and a good book, Ethan, Ross, and I tackle the the slopes for a day of excitement.  We love visiting the mountains and sitting in the hot tub as the snow falls.  We not only love the family time but we love to absorb God's goodness in all of His creation.

The mountains have received over nine feet of snow so far this season.  This morning I sit, staring at the beauty of the slopes, and marvel at how much like the pureness of the snow is the beauty of God's forgiveness.  I was compelled to look up Isaiah 1:18 where Isaiah challenges Judah to embrace God's forgiveness that he wants to bless them with.  He says, "Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool".  I wonder at times if I truly understand the beauty of God's forgiveness or if I really understand what God has made possible.  I've heard it said that many times we cannot forgive ourselves yet I believe the bigger challenge is accepting the forgiveness that God has given us.

Judah (the Southern Kingdom) is found guilty with bloodstained hands and God's invitation is literally to come and let's seek out what is right.  Twice in this verse, their sin is identified as anything but acceptable (scarlet/crimson) , and twice God tells of how pure He can make them (snow/wool). Some translators suggest that God will give their sinful condition the appearance of cleanliness.  However, I believe that Scripture is clear that God removes our sin "as far as the East is from the West" (Psalm 103:12). Micah tells us that, "You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea" (Micah 7:19b).

Please know that God's forgiveness is offered to you and that it is real.  The beauty of God's forgiveness is that He totally removes our filthy sin and blankets us with His holiness.  Delight in Him today with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment