Friday, May 30, 2014

Too often I've heard it said, "You don't have to go to church to be a Christian".  Indeed, I would agree.  However, if we understand Scripture we would also understand that Christians go to church (Hebrews 10:25).  The institution that God has chosen to work through today is the local church.  Christ gave of Himself to die on the cross for His bride, the church.  Jesus Christ prizes the church, works through the church, and is coming again for His church.  He has challenged the church to permeate the world with the saving Gospel message in order that God would be glorified.  Praise the Lord that when Christ left this earth to be with the Father that He sent us the Holy Spirit to guide us into all truth and to empower us each and every day to live out our Christian life and to be able to share this redeeming message. I'm aware that the church is filled with imperfect  people (sinners, fallen short of the glory of God) who are on a journey towards taking on the image of Christ.  I also understand that some are a poor testimony to Christ and His church.  However, I'm resolute to prize the very thing that Christ died for, to esteem it, and to give myself freely to advance Christ's church.

What an amazing thought that we as Christians are a representation of the holiness of God to those we come into contact with.  It poses the question, "Do others really see Jesus Christ in us"?  The church needs to be Gospel centric in everything we do.  The Gospel is our mission each and every day.  Yet, how well do others see the church in a positive light through us?  

In the book of James, he challenges believers not to be "foolish"--or literally a hollow person, believing that by claiming to be a Christian is sufficient (James 2:20, "You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless?").  Depth of Christian character and authenticity in our daily living will revolutionize the world.  I want to be the church in my community and not only attend the church in my community.  My claims of Christianity do so little apart from genuine, loving action.  My days are certainly numbered--as are yours.  I'm learning to pray as the psalmist, "Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom" (Psalm 90:12).  One day we will no longer be able to labor for Christ but will have to answer for our lack of work on earth for Him.  I pray that I would live "to the praise of His glory" (Ephesians 1:12).

LET'S BE THE CHURCH TOGETHER AND MAKE THE GOSPEL KNOWN!

No comments:

Post a Comment