Thursday, October 5, 2017

Invest in Yourself Today


The other day I was reading through Proverbs and God’s Spirit continued to massage the following verses into my heart and mind in order for me to reflect on the greatness of our God and His plans for my life.  Take a moment to reflect on some Scripture that God used to encourage my own heart this week. 

Proverbs 16:1-4, The plans of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the Lord.  All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the spirit.   Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established.  The Lord has made everything for its purpose, even the wicked for the day of trouble.”

One of the first things that God’s Spirit challenged me with was the fact that I often plan apart from God even though God always knows my future and what is best for me.  You see, at times I pray for God to bless the plans that I have already established for my life as if I know what is best (yikes) ~~I know this does not sound very spiritual.  In fact, the things that I plan and do can be justified within my own heart~~even if they are not truly honorable.  God knows my selfish motives and my words / actions before I ever speak or do them.  I forfeit the best things in this life and the things that can bring me the greatest joy for cheap substitutes that could never measure up to God’s best for me.

God’s desire for His people is that each day we would commit our plans and work to Him for His glory.  It is by the practice of including God in everything that God’s will for our lives can be understood and known.  I’m afraid that many times we are too busy laboring for God that we don’t labor with God in order to do lasting work.  We even focus on the wrong work at times that will be burned up some day.  God has a purpose for everyone, which is to glorify His name, and this even includes the use of the wicked for His glory (look at verse 4 and consider Pharaoh). 

As we learn to embrace the truth, that we live best when we live with the sovereignty of God in mind, it will give peace and confidence for each day.  This is truly investing in ourselves, as we trust more in the ability of God our Father.



No comments:

Post a Comment