Thursday, August 6, 2015

Will God Provide?

As Christians, we are taught to bring all of our requests to Jesus Christ who hears us and petitions the Father for us.  But how long do we do this--especially if we have the ability to meet the need ourselves or through some other person.  What happens when we grow weary of praying according to God's will?  What if God's will is not in line with our thinking or desires.  I don't know about you but I tend to like to be able to see and touch the situation in order to have some form of confidence that things are getting done correctly (I'm sorry God).  I love answered prayer and I want to glorify God through it.  However, God does not always work through conventional ways--at least according to my conventional ways.  I suppose that is why He says in Isaiah 55:8-9, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.  "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

I don't like to ask myself this convicting question but "do I allow God to be God?"  God has provisions that make sense to Him and that glorify His marvelous name.  Marching around a city seven times in order to bring down the walls seems ridiculous to me but there appears to be no grumbling by the people who actually did it (Joshua 6).  My efforts to accomplish things on my own apart from God may only serve as an obstacle to what God really wants to accomplish.  A sign of a great leader is that they trust in God despite odds and circumstances.  They demonstrate great faith and point others in that same direction towards trusting God. 

So, what happens if God does not provide?  Perhaps I have already received His provision in a different form that was actually best for me.  Perhaps God's answer was no.  Is God the first person that I seek in matters or do I seek Him after I have exhausted every other possibility?  The author of Hebrews says that "without faith it is impossible to please God" (Heb. 11:6).  This is a bold statement but it reflects the truth about God's desires.  He is not pleased when we don't trust His unseen provision.  God desires our trust in His character and in His promises apart from what makes sense to us.  The created (us) is often guilty of telling the Creator how He must operate and what is acceptable--that is me many times.

Prayer:  "Lord, help me to understand you more and to stand in awe of Your greatness.  I marvel at your ability to always do so much more than I could ever imagine.  May I not get in the way of what you want to accomplish and may my life reflect great faith in Your character and trust in Your words.  Help me to lead others to You by how I live my life." AMEN.



No comments:

Post a Comment