Thursday, December 17, 2015

Finding What You Want or Need

I love this photo as it speaks to me in a certain way.  I see a precious little girl who has already been taught the joy and happiness that can be gained through the purchase of things. It appears to me that she is in good control of her situation.  For such a little girl, she comes across as very satisfied with her wise purchase and ready to take on life.  Some parent has really trained her well and early.

I really no  longer enjoy shopping unless I can do it at home on the Internet.  The only exceptions that I would make would be for Cabelas or Gander Mountain--I guess it is a man thing.  The enjoyment about the internet is that I can seek the best product very quickly and get all of the details that I would want in order to make my purchase.  I guess I feel a little bit empowered, and then the item is brought right to my front door--how great is that!  It is nice to feel special.  In fact, I can have it picked up for a return if I don't like the product.  It is certainly all about the shopper today, regardless of age.  We do live in a consumer driven society where the customer is king!  It is all about keeping the customer happy if you want repeat business.

Interestingly enough, the church wrestles with this same issue as it tries to be all things to all people.  There needs to be something for everyone. After all, people come in all different shapes and sizes.  Is this real and is this good biblical thought?  Many people shop for Jesus Christ on their own terms.  Have the lost world and Christians developed an image of Jesus Christ in their minds that is consistent with the Jesus of the Bible?  Would we want the Jesus of the Bible if we really knew who he was?  He calls us sinners who are in need of a Savior.  He asks us to repent of our sins and to follow him.  He instructs believers to "take up their cross and follow him".  Many people want to shop for eternal life, but sometimes they forget to read the fine print in God's Word.  Becoming a Christian is more than a matter of not having to go to hell.  Becoming a Christian is a matter of repenting of one's sins and following Jesus Christ as the Lord of their life each and every day.  It means that they refuse to dishonor His name in questionable activities.  It means they long to be holy because HE IS HOLY--and He asks that of his people.

I'm concerned that the commercialized Jesus that the world shops for is not the Jesus found in Scripture.  Many times believers can even package Jesus the way they want to see him--I suppose it keeps them more comfortable with themselves.  They fail to see him in all of His glory and righteousness.  Those who truly see Jesus Christ for who He is live differently--and yes, they even shop differently because they look for a different fulfillment in their life.

By the way, I still love the precious photo!

Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."






No comments:

Post a Comment