Thursday, February 15, 2018

Making Sense of Tragedy

My heart is extremely saddened by the recent high school shooting in Parkland, Florida.  Needless to say many lives have been hurt and even shattered through the selfish and hateful deeds of one person.  How could this come to be and how are we to interpret it?  All too soon (within hours) there were politicians giving their input and remedy for such a catastrophe.  It would be nice if pastors could be given this same platform to share some words of comfort that come from our Creator.

I would like to say that on this side of eternity that there will always be great pain and suffering in human relationships.  Romans 8:22 informs us that all of creation is experiencing the weight and pains of sin since Adam.   At times this pain seems more than we can bear.  The entire earth and everything created are held in the bondage of decay and frustration but when the King of kings and Lord of lords returns, we’ll have a new heaven and a new earth (Isaiah 65:17; Rev 21:1) and then all of creation can breathe a giant sigh of relief and rejoice!  The Apostle John writes in Revelation 21:4 that when Christ returns, "God will wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there will be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."

We must walk with confidence that nothing is outside of God's grip.  God may permit and allow things to happen but God is never out of control.  In Scripture, even evil men (including Satan himself) walked and worked within the constraints that God allowed them to work (Job 1:10; Pr. 21:11; Ex. 9:12).  We need to be careful of crediting Satan and evil men too much.  Their hearts are certainly bent on doing evil (and even hurting others) but God permits them to work within His authority.

We are told by Isaiah about the character of our God in Isaiah 46:8-11, “Remember this, keep it in mind, take it to heart, you rebels.  Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me.  I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come.  I say, ‘My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.’ From the east I summon a bird of prey; from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose.  What I have said, that I will bring about; what I have planned, that I will do."

For Christians, we should daily embrace Romans 8:28, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."   The assurance comes through the character and promises of God.  We may not like what has happened but God is not out of control and God always has our best interest at heart.  In the midst of a crisis is the time to acknowledge and pray to God for peace, comfort, understanding, and His justice to prevail.  God can strengthen us and even use us in ways to help point people back to Christ who redeems all mankind (even the violator) for His purposes.  

In making sense of tragedy, let's turn to God first for answers and comfort!






No comments:

Post a Comment