Thursday, October 8, 2015

Making the Right Decisions

One of the hardest things in our lives is to make decisions that are not black and white in nature.  We are all faced with decisions that impact other people and decisions that will have a lasting impact for years to come, such as choosing a mate or a career path.  Chosen poorly, there may be no going back or correcting those decisions.  Many times others suffer when we make poor decisions.  I've not been immune to making poor decisions and some are even downright embarrassing.

When I was a young man I was encouraged to read the book of Proverbs every month (one chapter a day).  I did that for years and needless to say, Proverbs is my favorite book in the Old Testament.  I highlighted and wrote all over that book to that point that you would think I was the author.  I remember so many of those by heart and they shape my decision making on a regular basis.  Every person is given and practices a different amount of discernment.  There are times that we all scratch our heads and wonder what prompted a person to make the decision that they did.  Was it purely convenience, ignorance, or was it made out of frustration?

When we stand in confusion as to what decision we are to make, we do not have to draw straws or pick the petals off of a daisy.  I believe if we truly want to know God's will in a given matter then God will provide the wisdom and insight for the moment--if we consult him.  Here are some guidelines that I have learned from over the years and I believe are very helpful.

  1. Do I know for certain that my decision will honor God? (Romans 14:23 tells us that we should have faith that our decision will honor God and that we should not operate recklessly when His glory is at stake.  James tells us, "And without faith it is impossible to please God." (James 11:6)
  2. Have I consulted godly, wise counsel?  Many people will talk to others who will affirm their poor decision because they already know what they want.  Proverbs 11:14 says, "Where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety."
  3. Does God's Word give direct admonition about the matter or provide healthy principles?  It is imperative that God's people consider God's feelings about the matter first.  God's Word has much to say about most things.  Most have gone through common experiences that we are currently walking through.  (David declares in Psalm 119:105, "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path".)
  4. Have I spent time in prayer with God about the matter?  Jesus Christ himself consulted the Father (alone in prayer) in life's most troublesome times.  Philippians 4:6 reminds us to take our anxious and needy hearts to the Lord.  "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God."
  5. Has God given you a peace in your heart about the matter?  This is much more than giving yourself permission or taking God out of the equation.  If we are not in fellowship with Him we will never understand His full desires.  David says in Psalm 66:18, "If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened;"  This is not to say God is unaware but God is under no obligation to listen to those who walk out of fellowship with Him.
  6. Am I truly seeking God's Kingdom first or my own selfish desires?  Jesus encouraged His disciples not to be caught up by the cares of this world but to be wrapped up in eternal matters.  He said in Matthew 6:33, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." 

No comments:

Post a Comment