Thursday, October 29, 2015

The Status Trap

Most people would never admit that they love attention or that it is important that they be recognized as someone important.  It is interesting that most people want to be credited for every bit of their ideas and insights.  At times, we disguise our pride as a pseudo humility for the sake of advancing ourselves.  I'm often amazed to find someone who really doesn't care if their name is ever mentioned for something great that they did.  They would not be offended if their name was never mentioned or even forgotten when credit was issued. However, this is typically not the case even in Christian circles.  Great pride exists in the church and in Christian institutions for significance and status. 

Solomon says in Proverbs 13:7, "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."  Many people crave to be known for significance.  However, people who find their significance in Jesus Christ and not in their own status have nothing to prove.  Richness can come through knowing that God knows all about our endeavors for Him whether or not we are ever recognized.  Richness can come by trusting in God as the sovereign One who rewards those who diligently seek Him.  Richness can come by knowing the brevity of this life and what is done for Christ alone will last.  Richness comes by understanding that, "By humility and the fear of the Lord are riches and honor and life" (Proverbs 22:4).

Social status is one of the biggest traps that face us as individuals that cause us to limit what is done for Christ and others.  Country singer, Toby Keith, sang a song entitled, "I Wanna Talk About Me".  Some of the lyrics go like this:  "I want to talk about me, Want to talk about I, Want to talk about number one, Oh my me my, What I think, what I like, what I know, what I want, what I see".  The center of PRIDE is always "I".  The message of Christ's life contradicted this message of status and significance (take a moment to read Philippians 2).

May we find our significance in serving the One who gave Himself so freely for us--Jesus Christ!  Let's be known for this one thing--we are servants for His glory alone.  A servant may never be honored for his work, at least on this side of glory, but God will never forget!



 




No comments:

Post a Comment